Samoa vs Wales – USA Sevens Rugby
19 - 21
Challenger Qtr FinalsSam Boyd Stadium03/03/201804:32 PM2018 USA Sevens

Samoa got things started with a 45-second try by Neria Fomai. The missed conversion allowed Wales to take the lead with a converted try by Luke Morgan down the left touchline. The two points being picked up by the fiercely accurate boot of Angus O’Brien. Sadly, Joe Jenkins for Wales was injured in the passage of play, necessitating a cart to assist him off the pitch.

Playing from behind for the first time in the match, Samoa set into probing the Welsh defense. Finding no space, Samoa ended up giving up the possession and losing a man to the bin with a penalty at the Welsh ten-meter line. Reaping the rewards of 7-on-6 rugby, Wales claimed a second converted try when Ben Roach offloaded to Morgan on the left wing. O’Brien’s conversion made it 14–5 with just over a minute remaining in the half. Morgan’s hattrick completing try on halftime coupled with O’Brien’s third conversion, left Samoa with only seven minutes to overcome a three-score deficit.

Facing an up-hill battle, Alatasi Tupou leveled the plane a bit with a try in the 9th minute. The conversion drew Samoa to within nine of the Dragons. The failure of the restart kick to reach the ten-meter line, put the ball back in Welsh hands. Samoa was heavily tested, but forced a penalty turnover on the Samoan five-meter line. The tap off the penalty took one pass out to Elisapeta Alofipo on the outside to bring Samoa to within four points. Tupou’s conversion made it a mere two-point affair with 2:12 remaining.

Coming through in the clutch, Tomasi Alosio stole the excellent restart to give Samoa a chance to take the lead. A pass at the Wales twenty-two out to David Afamasaga was a certain score but was called back as a forward pass. More concerning to those in attendance was that a Wales player was removed on a cart for the second time in the match. This injury appeared considerably more severe than the last, with a medical team springing to action to attend to a potential head or neck injury.

The scrum came with 1:39 remaining and was won by Wales, severely cutting into what little time remained for Samoa. A second scrum moments later further helped to wind the clock. As Wales worked down the pitch to burn the clock, Samoa finally conceded a penalty with a handful of seconds left. At that moment, the result was no longer in doubt. Wales held the ball for the few remaining seconds, tapped, and kicked to touch to end the match with the slim 21–19 victory.